Breastfeeding and Lactation Services
Every mother-to-be has goals for feeding their baby. At Memorial Family Birthplace, we are here to help support those goals – without judgment.
If you decide to breastfeed your baby, we will help you and your little one start with a strong breastfeeding connection. Our team of certified lactation consultants and lactation-trained nurses will help your baby latch at the breast immediately following birth, whether your delivery is vaginal or cesarean.
Everyone’s breastfeeding journey looks a little different, and our team is here for support and encouragement as you begin this new adventure.
Preparing for Breastfeeding During Pregnancy
Are you pregnant and wondering where to start on your breastfeeding journey?
Preparation is the key to success. Our lactation team offers virtual Breastfeeding 101 classes (hosted by each Family Birthplace) to help you learn the basics, including:
- what supplies you’ll want to have on-hand,
- how often your baby will need to eat, and
- a helpful overview of breastfeeding mechanics.
Register for Class – Hosted by Memorial Hospital Miramar
Register for Class – Hosted by Memorial Hospital West
Register for Class – Hosted by Memorial Regional Hospital
Registrate en la Clase - Lactancia Materna (En Español y Virtual)
Many mothers struggle with adjusting to the demands of breastfeeding, and that’s normal. Our lactation consultants are available throughout your hospital stay if you need extra support or suggestions on how to get your baby to have a better latch.
Once you get settled at home, breastfeeding can sometimes be a roller coaster – which is also normal. Our lactation team is available for a quick phone call or a more in-depth video call to help get things back on track. It’s often as simple as posture adjustment for you or the baby to help get things flowing again.
As you and your baby grow in your breastfeeding journey, many moms enjoy joining virtual breastfeeding support groups. These groups are helpful for developing friendships with other new moms. Sharing useful tips and tricks and supporting each other throughout the ups and downs of the first few months of motherhood. Ask any of our lactation consultants for more information on Memorial Nursing Mothers Support Groups.
Register for Support Group – Hosted by Memorial Hospital Miramar
Register for Support Group – Hosted by Memorial Hospital West
Register for Support Group – Hosted by Memorial Regional Hospital
Benefits of Breastfeeding
There are many benefits of breastfeeding for both mom and baby.
- During the first few days following your little one’s arrival, breastfeeding is a beautiful opportunity to bond with your baby.
- Your antibodies are passed along to your baby through breastmilk, which helps protect them from colds, viruses and the flu.
- Your breastmilk will continue to provide antibodies as your baby grows, changing to deliver precisely what your little one needs at any given time.
The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) states that breastfed babies typically:
- have fewer ear infections,
- lower risk of sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS), and
- many pediatric conditions like asthma, eczema or diabetes.
The AAP recommends exclusively breastfeeding your little one for the first six months to help protect them from illnesses. For example, breastfeeding:
- Provides tremendous long-term health benefits for mothers.
- Lowers your risk of female cancers like breast and ovarian cancers, as well as heart disease, osteoporosis and type 2 diabetes.
- Can help you immediately following birth, lowering postpartum bleeding and your risk of postpartum depression.
Community Resources and Support
- Broward County WIC Breastfeeding: 953-467-4511
- Dade County WIC Breastfeeding: 786-336-1336
- Healthy Start of Broward County (first-time moms): 954-563-7583
- American Academy of Pediatrics: Breastfeeding
- Breastfeeding Online
- Infant Risk Center
- La Leche League of Florida
- La Leche International
- Kelly Mom
- Office on Women's Health: Breastfeeding
- Work and Pump
Our lactation team can also provide the names and contact information of private practice International Board-Certified Lactation Consultants (IBCLC).
How-to Breastfeeding Videos
In order to enhance your breastfeeding experience, the following educational videos are designed to show you how to:
Breast Pumps and Insurance Coverage
Most major insurances now cover the cost of a breast pump for expecting mothers. For more information on how to purchase a breast pump through your insurance, please reach out directly to your insurance. We recommend having your pump before your little one’s arrival and bringing it to the hospital for your stay. You can purchase your pump at:
- Memorial Hospital Miramar Outpatient Pharmacy
- Memorial Hospital West Outpatient Pharmacy
- Pill Box Pines West
- Pill Box Pharmacy & Medical Supply
Need help? Our lactation consultants are here.
Call our lactation team for help or to set up a telehealth consultation.
- Memorial Hospital West: 954-844-9908
- Memorial Hospital Miramar: 954-538-5181
- Memorial Regional Hospital: 954- 265-4078
- Joe DiMaggio Children's Hospital NICU: 954-265-7867 | 954-265-8282
We also have Spanish-speaking lactation consultants to meet the needs of our patients.
Memorial Family Birthplace Pregnancy App
We encourage you to register for our free Memorial Family Birthplace Pregnancy App, an online pregnancy resource center designed to educate expectant moms about prenatal care, labor and delivery, breastfeeding, and postpartum care for you and your newborn.